"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough"
~ Mae West

My other blog, strictly about my horse, is www.deardiesel.blogspot.com

Monday, January 30, 2012

Pure Maple Syrup

There is nothing like real maple syrup. It is somewhat of an acquired taste due to the true sweetness of it, however I assure it is delicious. I have grown to appreciate it mostly because my boyfriend and his family are large scale maple producers in Wyoming County, NY.

Check them out at on Facebook here, or here: Siler's Sugar Shanty


I used to think that I could live with the 'fake' syrup and be fine. Then, I found out that the fake syrup is less than 5% pure maple syrup and that 5% is some of the lowest quality syrup available. It is the equivalent quality to what is used in dog foods. Ick! No, thank you! So now I'm a diehard pure girl & I'm lovin it.

There is more to pure maple syrup than just the stuff you put on your pancakes. I want to enlighten you to the variety of maple products available today.





Mary's Maple Mustard


Maple Creme


Maple Jelly


Granulated Maple Sugar


Maple Sugar Cakes


Maple Covered Peanuts


Also delicious - Maple Cotton Candy!

Maple producers across the region are working hard to prepare their woods and sugar shacks for the 'syruping season'. Lines need to be checked, drop lines possibly replaced, and eventually all the trees need to be tapped.

If you're interested in experiencing the process of Maple Syrup Production, I encourage you to participate in the Maple Weekend festivities. Across the region, several producers open up their operations for the public and often provide a very exceptional educational experience.

Siler's Sugar Shanty will be open across the weekend and I personally invite you to come visit us!
 

No comments: