"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough"
~ Mae West

My other blog, strictly about my horse, is www.deardiesel.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Locks of Love & Madison Academy

Original article available here...

This stands out to me as an example of the media twisting a story and creating a bad guy. At first when I went to read this article, I figured on being appalled and furious with the school for their actions. I came away being annoyed with the media.

This academy appears to be a private institution, and therefore it was no surprise to me that they had in place guidelines to govern the physical appearance of their students. When students must pay to attend an institution, they are also usually agreeing to abide by the established rules.

This 'hair rule' is standard procedure, and the student is disobeying it. It boils down to the fact that a violation is a violation. I understand that a level of compassion and understanding should exist in the world, but in the case of a private entity especially in an educational setting, all students must be treated equally and exceptions are few and far between.

I recently donated to Locks of Love as well.  Below are my before and after pictures, I donated 11.5 inches of hair.



 
It was an awesome, terrifying experience. I had such long hair for a long time, that I had grown very attached to it. I was fearful of my appearance post-cut, but every time I considered the patients who needed it way more than myself, I was prepared all over again. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to help, but especially to someone with really long hair who is considering chopping it short -- might as well make us of those locks!

If you are considering donating, please check with the agency you are donating to about requirements etc, as I would hate for you to go through the trouble and no one benefit from your donation.

No comments: